NW Energy Coalition seeking senior development associate
Senior Development and Outreach Associate
The NW Energy Coalition is an alliance of more than 100 environmental, civic and human service organizations, progressive utilities and businesses in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia. We promote development of energy efficiency and renewable energy, low-income and consumer protection in energy policy decisions, and fish and wildlife restoration on the Columbia and Snake rivers.
Energy policy is critical to the Northwest’s economic and environmental health. Ensuring that individual utilities, state governments and the region pursue clean and affordable energy strategies for meeting our power needs is a central focus. We drive home the link between energy resource development and climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the power sector is a top priority.
This position is located at our downtown Seattle office in the historic Colman building.
The senior development and outreach associate is responsible for maintaining and increasing funding from all donor categories as well as from sponsoring companies and organizations through effective donor identification, cultivation and solicitation. In addition, this person will help organize appropriate events to broaden the Coalition’s donor and supporter base and to engage our membership. This person will work closely with the executive director, board development committee and Coalition staff.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
Donor and sponsorship outreach and cultivation (60%)
- Lead high-quality campaigns and strategies to identify, cultivate and solicit existing major donors, and sponsors and to develop new prospects.o In collaboration with the executive director and board members, manage a portfolio of major individual and corporate donors.o Initiate and maintain contact with potential major donors and corporate sponsors.
o Develop appropriate cultivation strategies that involve staff and board members.
- Develop strategic partnerships with the clean energy industry.
- Develop and implement a new corporate donor/partner campaign.
- Mobilize new and nontraditional resources using tools such as social media and crowdfundingplatforms.
- Develop donor communication materials.
- Work collaboratively with Coalition staff, board and member organizations.
Development administration (20%):
- Provide leadership and support for board development activities.
- Document all gift donations and acknowledgement activities.
- Maintain a donor database, track relationships and actions, build donor profiles and generatereports.Event management and support (20%):
• Work with outreach and communications staff to manage and coordinate special events, including the Coalition’s annual awards gala:
o Coordinate logistical details prior to and during events
o Publicize events through development of promotional materials and outreach. o Mobilize Coalition allies and prospective donors to attend events.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years experience in non-profit development and fundraising. Experience may substitute for education.
- Additional relevant professional experience including (but not limited to) work in event planning or marketing.
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with strong follow-through and the ability to engage with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds and work with donors.
- Strong leadership and management skills and ability to handle multiple projects and priorities.
- Exceptional attention to detail and experience working in teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a resourceful worker with a can-do attitude who can take initiative, follow through andmanage time efficiently.Salary and benefits: Salary $51,000 to $55,000 DOE. Excellent benefits include generous medical, dental and vision insurance, four weeks paid vacation, ten paid holidays and employer-matching retirement plan. NWEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is open until filled. Application review will begin 4/27/15. In order to help us efficiently process applications and to ensure that your application is received, please observe the following:
1.) Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to Gwen Heisterkamp at gwen (at) nwenergy (dot) org.
- 2.) In the subject line of your e-mail: “Your Full Name, Sr. Development Associate”
- 3.) In your cover letter, please reflect on your experience with the following: major donorcultivation, sponsorship cultivation, corporate partnership cultivation, events management,social media/crowdfunding, and database management.
- 4.) In your resume, please provide specific dates of employment (month/year).
- 5.) In your cover letter, please indicate where you found out about the position.