Join the NW Energy Coalition for our summer webinar series “Decarbonizing the Northwest.” This virtual series will take place on June 1, June 15, June 29, and July 13 from 10am – 11:30am PT / 11am – 12:30pm MT.
This event is $40 for all 4 sessions, and open to all. Thank you for supporting these learning sessions!
Session 1 – Decarbonization and Load Growth: Maintaining our Focus on Energy Efficiency
June 1, 10:00AM – 11:30AM PT / 11:00AM – 12:30PM MT
Utilities and regional forecasters are projecting significant load growth due to transportation electrification and building decarbonization, what is the scale being forecasted? Now is the time to double down on energy efficiency, demand management, and grid integrated buildings to ensure affordable service, control growth, and improve system operations.
Moderator: Smita Gupta, Director for Building Innovation, New Buildings Institute
- Tina Jayaweera, Power Planning Resources Manager, Northwest Power and Conservation Council
- Kerry Meade, Executive Director, Northwest Energy Efficiency Council
- Emeka Anyanwu, Energy Innovation and Resources Officer, Seattle City Light
Session 2 – Regulatory Tools to Advance Decarbonization
June 15, 10:00AM – 11:30AM PT / 11:00AM – 12:30PM MT
The next decade is a critical time for decarbonizing our energy system. What needs to happen in the next year, 5 years, and 10 years in order to achieve our climate goals? What regulatory tools are needed to ensure an equitable clean energy transition? How do we prioritize investments to maintain affordability and reliability?
Moderator: Nancy Hirsh, Executive Director, NW Energy Coalition
- Wendy Gerlitz, Regulatory Policy Manager, Puget Sound Energy
- Rachel Gold, Principal, Rocky Mountain Institute
- Caroline Moore, Division Administrator, Oregon Public Utility Commission
Session 3 – Electricity Markets’ Role in Delivering Clean Energy
June 29, 10:00AM – 11:30AM PT / 11:00AM – 12:30PM MT
A more integrated western grid brings efficiencies and opportunities for decarbonization. Electricity markets are increasingly important for flexibility and resource adequacy. This panel will focus on two key issues – ensuring that governing bodies represent the public interest and all Western stakeholders; and the design needs to effectively promote customer-side resources.
Moderator: Lauren McCloy, Policy Director, NW Energy Coalition
- Robin Arnold, Markets & Transmission Director, Renewable Northwest
- Rebecca Wagner, Member of WEIM Governance Review Committee, Owner and President of Wagner Strategies
- Jennifer Chen, World Resources Institute
Session 4 – Evolving Technologies Showcase
July 13, 10:00AM – 11:30AM PT / 11:00AM – 12:30PM MT
Let’s hear from the next gen innovators who have new technologies entering the market. What is the outlook for these technologies? What is the role of these technologies in the next decade? How can we accelerate the adoption of evolving technologies while ensuring environmentally and culturally responsible clean energy development?
Moderator: Mel Clark, President & CEO, CleanTech Alliance
- Offshore Wind: Whitney Hauer, Renewable Energy Specialist, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Long Duration Storage: Julia Souder, Executive Director, Long Duration Energy Storage Council
- Electrified Trucking: Jonathan Yan, Charging Infrastructure Consulting Engineer, Daimler Truck North America
- DC Transmission: Corey Kupersmith, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Sun2o
- DC Transmission: Chris Benson, Director of Operations, PowerBridge LLC
- Green Hydrogen: Evan Ramsey, Senior Director of Renewables, Bonneville Environmental Foundation
Thank you to our sponsors!