The NW Energy Coalition is an alliance of more than 100 environmental, civic, and human service organizations, progressive utilities and businesses in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia. We promote development of energy efficiency and renewable energy, low-income and consumer protection in energy policy decisions, and fish and wildlife restoration on the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
Energy policy is critical to the economic and environmental health of the Northwest. Ensuring that individual utilities, state governments and the region pursue clean and affordable energy strategies for meeting our need for power is a central focus for the Coalition. We drive home the link between energy resource development and climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the power sector is a top priority.
The Policy Director is a senior level position responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of a four-state policy agenda based on the goals of the Coalition. The work focuses on regional and state policy (regulatory and legislative) and utility proceedings and includes working with industry experts, building coalitions and educating stakeholders.
Our preference is for this position to be located in Seattle. However, Portland based candidates will also be considered.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise Coalition policy staff in the preparation of policy advocacy and analysis documents including testimony, position papers, filings, white papers, etc.
- Represent the Coalition in regulatory and utility proceedings, before regional and state agencies, and before Congress and state legislatures on energy efficiency, renewable energy, consumer protection, fish and wildlife restoration and climate policies.
- Analyze and critique utility and state electric, natural gas, and clean energy and climate policy proposals.
- Assist the Executive Director with Coalition Executive Board and Board communications and relationships.
- Work with the Executive Director and development team to raise funds to support the Coalition, including major donor and foundation cultivation and making the semi-annual conferences successful.
- Serve on the senior management team of the Coalition, helping to shape the direction of the Coalition.
- Work with diverse Coalition members and allies to resolve conflicts and develop mutually supportive policy positions.
- Write articles and reports for Coalition publications.
- Assist outreach staff in mobilizing Coalition member organizations and community activists for public hearings and related public involvement.
- Share in the administrative responsibilities of a cooperative and informal work environment.
- Minimum of seven years post-college experience in public policy work. Relevant professional experience includes (but is not limited to) work in political, policy, legal or government settings.
- Management experience, including supervising staff, programs, or campaigns.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Position requires excellent written and oral communications skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences from technical experts to the general public.
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and to produce quickly in time-sensitive policy deliberations.
- Willingness to travel throughout the Northwest and outside the region.
Salary and benefits: Salary $65,000 to $70,500 DOE. Excellent benefits include generous medical, dental and vision insurance, 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays, and employer matching retirement plan. NWEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is open until filled. To apply please:
• E-mail a cover letter, resume and a writing sample to Gwen Heisterkamp at gwen (at) nwenergy (dot) org.
• Put “Your Name, Policy Director ” in the subject line of your e-mail.
• In your cover letter, let us know how you found out about this position.
For more information about the NW Energy Coalition go to www.nwenergy.org.
Start date: ASAP.