NW Energy Coalition seeking half-time policy staff
Seattle or Olympia
The NW Energy Coalition is an alliance of more than 110 environmental, civic, and human service organizations, progressive utilities and businesses in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and British Columbia. We promote development of energy efficiency and renewable energy, low-income and consumer protection in energy policy decisions, and fish and wildlife restoration on the Columbia and Snake Rivers.
Energy policy is critical to the economic and environmental health of the Northwest. Ensuring that individual utilities, state governments and the region pursue clean and affordable energy strategies for meeting our need for power is a central focus for the Coalition. Clean energy (energy efficiency and renewable resources) is the most cost-effective way to meet energy needs and reduce climate pollution.
The Coalition is seeking a half-time Policy staff person. The level of the position will be determined by experience and qualifications of the individual hired. This position can be located in Seattle or Olympia and will focus on energy efficiency policy and program implementation, as well as other utility regulatory issues.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent the Coalition in regulatory and agency proceedings on energy efficiency, including but not limited to, utility energy efficiency programs, benchmarking and disclosure, building energy codes, and performance based energy efficiency models.
- Advocate strong and effective energy efficiency and low-income policies and programs in state and local regulatory, utility and legislative proceedings and other public policy settings.
- Represent the Coalition on utility and government advisory committees as appropriate.
- Develop and initiate policy, program and communication strategies that advance energyefficiency and clean energy.
- Build collaborative relationships with other organizations engaged in energy policies.
- Prepare position and policy papers and write articles and reports for Coalition publications
- Work with diverse Coalition members and allies to develop mutually supportive policypositions.
- Assist outreach staff in mobilizing Coalition member organizations and communityactivists for public hearings and related public involvement.
- Share in the administrative and fundraising responsibilities of a cooperative, informal anddiverse work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and at least five years post-college experience in public policy work. Experience may substitute for education. Relevant professional experience includes (but is not limited to) work in political, policy or government settings. Experience in energy efficiency, utility program implementation and public policy development is desirable. Position requires excellent written and oral communications skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences from technical experts to the general public. Must be able to juggle multiple tasks and to produce quickly in time-sensitive policy deliberations. This position will require travel throughout Washington, including frequent travel to Olympia during the legislative session, and will require occasional trips out of state.
Salary and benefits:
Half-time position – $18,000 to $27,000 depending on experience.
Excellent benefits include: generous dental and medical insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, and employer matching retirement plan. NWEC is an equal opportunity employer.
Position is open until filled. To apply please:
- E-mail a cover letter, resume and a writing sample in one single PDF to Gwen Heisterkamp at gwen (at) nwenergy (dot) org.
- Put “Your Name, Half-Time Policy ” in the subject line of your e-mail.
- In your cover letter, let us know how you found out about this position.For more information about the NW Energy Coalition go to www.nwenergy.org. Start date: ASAP.